Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
MAY 28, 2009
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura
MEMBERS ABSENT: Asst. Fire Chief Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:40am. April 2009 minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
- Current appropriation summary for Police Department was passed out reviewed. Overall within line. Some concern in hospitalization. Next month will be high due to Bob Reitz retirement payout. No overtime at all last pay period.
- Siren Tower – Copy of minutes passed out from Council meeting releasing $500.00. Chief spoke with Janet Espisito and Jon Barber for available funds. Nothing at this time. Contacted Butch Schultz Jr. and Stamms for quotes on replacing platform, replacing pulley for flag and redoing the whole tower. Committee agreed to move forward if within the $500.00. No P.O. has been issued yet. Siren could be very useful for Village since the one at the radio tower is hard to hear.
- Hiram Dispatch Service – attorneys worked out contract and was going for 1st reading at Hiram Council on June 9th. May take three readings. If passed at Hiram’s Council meeting will bring to our June Council meeting. Looking at $28,750.00 for the first year. Chief discussed with committee for ½ of funds to go to Police Capital, ½ to General Fund. This will help costs within Police Department. Committee agreed.
- Chief was contacted by the Federal Government reference the Stimulus money. Application is in review process. Our application was one of 13,000 and there will be no’s.
- Evaluation forms discussed at last meeting. Chief handed out and discussed four formats with committee. Two forms were computer generated and two were form generated. Committee can decided which they prefer for evaluation process.
- Sgt. Bob Reitz retirement will be effective 6-13-09. He will have a 60 day separation leave then return as Part Time Sergeant, in position. Bob will have approximately $13,000.00 pay out. Bob will make himself available when Chief is on vacation.
- Chief asked committee to review the parking situation on Cemetery Drive, 1st house rental property. In the past we have exempted parking due to compact cars being parked there. Now with larger cars they are parked on sidewalk and comes into roadway creating a hazard. House does have a large driveway. Should we remove exemption and agree to waive parking for special occasions? We need to be consistent. Committee discussed and would like to refer to Service Committee
- Village Clerk suggested in Finance Meeting putting the Codified Ordinance on line. There is a $30.00 a month fee and a $1700.00 initial set up fee. Chief advised he uses other communities that are already on there now for research. It is a very helpful tool. Chief advised committee he is in favor and would be willing to pay ½ of the set up fee. Committee discussed and agreed it would be useful.
- Chief will be on vacation from 6-20-2009 thru 6-28-2009 and will return to work on Monday 6-29-2009. Ptl. Dan Forman will be left in charge of day to day operation of Police Department. Any problem he can’t handle they are to contact Michele 24/7, she can advise legally and advise officer in the best interest of the Village. Any major event committee will be notified.
- Chief will be attending annual training in Columbus 8-19-2009 and 8-20-2009 for the Ohio Municipal League .
- Council Meeting discussed open burn in the Village. After discussion with the Fire Chief it will be handle as a joint effort. MSFD will respond to an open burn call. If the subject does not comply it will be turned over to the Police Department for enforcement with charges.
- Soap Box Derby will be Saturday, 6-13-2009. Rain Date will be Sunday, 6-14-2009. High Street will close at 7am and will reopen at approximately 6pm. On June 7th someone will be out to paint the roadway. They have 36 racers this year.
- Marty advised that the Fire Board hired a new Fiscal Officer/Clerk for MSFD. Kay Ziska who had UAN experience and is currently Hiram’s Village Clerk will start June 1, 2009. Meetings will change from the 2nd Tuesday of each month to the 2nd Wednesday.
- Committee discussed Police Department activity, all good, just be reasonable.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: Parking on Cemetery Drive
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: July 30, 2009 at 6:30am
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:30 am. Motion to adjourn made by Giles, 2nd by Marty all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police